简明英汉词典

minimal
[5minimEl]
adj.
最小的, 最小限度的

美国传统词典[双解]

minimal
min.i.mal
AHD:[m1n“…-m…l]
D.J.[6min*m*l]
K.K.[6m!n*m*l]
adj.(形容词)

(1)

Smallest in amount or degree.
最小的:在程度和数量上最小的

(2)

Small in amount or degree.
小的,少的:在数量或程度上少的

(3)

Only barely adequate.
仅仅刚够的

(4)

Often Minimal Of, relating to, or being minimalism.
常作 Minimal 极简抽象主义的:与极简抽象主义有关的或极简抽象主义的

继承用法

minimality
AHD:[-m2l“1-t?] (名词)

minimally
adv.(副词)

用法

(1)

Etymologically, minimal is properly used to refer to the smallest possible amount, as in The amplifier reduces distortion to the minimal level that can be obtained with present technologies. In recent years, however, the word has come to be used to refer simply to a small amount, as in If you would just put in a minimal amount of time on your homework, I am sure your grades would improve. Critics have often objected to this extension, but it appears to be well established. To determine the acceptability of the newer use, we presented the Usage Panel with the sentence
从词源学上来说,minimal 应被正确地用来指最小的可能数量, 如在这台扩大器能将失真减至为当前技术水平所有达到的最低限度内 。 但是近几年来,此词已被用来表示一个较少的数量,如在假如你在家庭作业上花上一点时间的话,我敢肯定你的成绩会变好的 一句中。 批评家们经常反对这种延伸,但这似乎已被广泛接受。为确定这种较新用法的被接受程度,我们以下句进行了用法调查
Alcohol has a particularly unpleasant effect on me when I have a minimal amount of food in my stomach.
当我的胃中只有极少量食物时,喝酒就会搞得我非常难受。

(2)

Under the strict interpretation of minimal, this sentence should mean only “Alcohol has an unpleasant effect when I have eaten nothing.” If the looser interpretation is allowed, however, the sentence can also mean “ . . . when I have eaten a bit.” Presented with the sentence, 29 percent of the Usage Panel said that it could have only the “eaten nothing” (that is, the strict) interpretation; 34 percent said that it could have only the “eaten a bit” (that is, the looser) interpretation; and 37 percent said that it could have either meaning. Thus the looser sense of minimal is accepted by 71 percent of the Panel and must be considered acceptable in nontechnical use. · In an analogous shift, the verb minimize is often used to mean “to reduce,” an extension of its strict etymological sense of “to reduce to the smallest possible level.” This looser usage is the result of the imprecision that usually attaches to the use of the verb in most nontechnical contexts. When a manager announces that The company wants to minimize the risk of accidents to line workers, we naturally interpret the manager as meaning that the risk is to be reduced to the smallest level consistent with considerations of efficiency and cost, not that risks are to be reduced to the lowest level logically possible. Even when used with allowable imprecision, however, the verb minimize should carry some implication that the relevant quantity is reduced as much as could reasonably be expected in the circumstances. Thus minimize retains at least an approximately superlative sense and so is inconsistent with modification by adverbs such as greatly or considerably, which imply that the verb is being used as a simple synonym for lessen or reduce.
若句中的minimal 的意思比较严格, 那么这一句就只能理解为“当我什么没吃时喝酒会搞得我很难受。”但是如果比较宽泛的词义得到承认,那么这一句同时也有“…当我吃过一点东西时”这层意思。百分之二十九的用法专题使用小组成员认为这一词只能当“什么都不吃”(即严格意义上的词义)来讲;百分之三十四的成员说它只有“吃过一点”(即宽泛一些的)词义;百分之三十七的成员说两种含义都可适用。所以minimal 宽泛的含义被用法专题使用小组的百分之七十一的成员接受。 与其相类似的是,动词minimize 经常被用来指“减少”, 是其“减少到最可能小的水平”的严格意义上的延伸。这一较宽泛的含义是非技术性文章使用这一动词的不精确性而带来的结果。当一个经理宣称公司试图将生产线上工人面临出事故的风险降至最低, 我们自然会认为经理的意思是工厂的事故风险将被降至一个同时又考虑效率和成本的最小程度,而不是逻辑上可以达到的最低程度。即使在可以允许不精确的程度内使用时,动词mininize 也应有一层隐含的意思, 即其相对数量已被减少到了情况所期望的合理的程度。这样,minimize 至少仍然保留着一种大致为最高级的意思, 因而它与这些副词如greatly 或 considerably 不能搭配使用, 因为这些副词暗示着这一动词被当成了lessen 或 reduce 简单同义词而使用

现代英汉词典

minimal
[5mInIm(E)l]
adj.
最小的;最低限度的
"Fortunately, the storm only did minimal damage to the crops."
"幸好,暴风雨对农作物只造成很小的损失。"

现代英汉综合大辞典

minimal
[5minimEl]
adj.

(1)

最小的, 极微的, 最低(限度)的

(2)

最简单派艺术的
minimal art
最简单派艺术
Fortunately, the storm only did minimal damage to the farmer's crops.
很幸运, 暴风雨只使农民的庄稼受到轻微的损害。

词性变化

minimal
[5minimEl]
n.
最简单派艺术作品(抽象艺术的一种)

继承用法

minimally
adv.

英文相关词典

minimal
maximal    

[七国语言]英汉公共大词典

minimal
最小的

[七国语言]英汉机械工程大词典

minimal
最小的

[七国语言]英汉矿业大词典

minimal
最小的, 最低的

美国传统词典

minimal
min.i.mal
AHD:[m1n“…-m…l]
D.J.[6min*m*l]
K.K.[6m!n*m*l]
adj.

(1)

Smallest in amount or degree.

(2)

Small in amount or degree.

(3)

Only barely adequate.

(4)

Often Minimal Of, relating to, or being minimalism.

继承用法

minimality
AHD:[-m2l“1-t?] n.

minimally
adv.

用法

(1)

Etymologically, minimal is properly used to refer to the smallest possible amount, as in The amplifier reduces distortion to the minimal level that can be obtained with present technologies. In recent years, however, the word has come to be used to refer simply to a small amount, as in If you would just put in a minimal amount of time on your homework, I am sure your grades would improve. Critics have often objected to this extension, but it appears to be well established. To determine the acceptability of the newer use, we presented the Usage Panel with the sentence
Alcohol has a particularly unpleasant effect on me when I have a minimal amount of food in my stomach.

(2)

Under the strict interpretation of minimal, this sentence should mean only “Alcohol has an unpleasant effect when I have eaten nothing.” If the looser interpretation is allowed, however, the sentence can also mean “ . . . when I have eaten a bit.” Presented with the sentence, 29 percent of the Usage Panel said that it could have only the “eaten nothing” (that is, the strict) interpretation; 34 percent said that it could have only the “eaten a bit” (that is, the looser) interpretation; and 37 percent said that it could have either meaning. Thus the looser sense of minimal is accepted by 71 percent of the Panel and must be considered acceptable in nontechnical use. · In an analogous shift, the verb minimize is often used to mean “to reduce,” an extension of its strict etymological sense of “to reduce to the smallest possible level.” This looser usage is the result of the imprecision that usually attaches to the use of the verb in most nontechnical contexts. When a manager announces that The company wants to minimize the risk of accidents to line workers, we naturally interpret the manager as meaning that the risk is to be reduced to the smallest level consistent with considerations of efficiency and cost, not that risks are to be reduced to the lowest level logically possible. Even when used with allowable imprecision, however, the verb minimize should carry some implication that the relevant quantity is reduced as much as could reasonably be expected in the circumstances. Thus minimize retains at least an approximately superlative sense and so is inconsistent with modification by adverbs such as greatly or considerably, which imply that the verb is being used as a simple synonym for lessen or reduce.

英汉法学大词典

minimal
adj.最少

英汉航海大词典

minimal
n.最低限度的

英汉化学大词典

minimal
adj.最小的,最低的,极微的;n.最小量

英汉海运大词典

minimal
最小(限度)的,最低的

英汉经贸大词典

minimal
n.最低限度的

英汉计算机大词典

minimal
adj.最小的(最低的,极微的)

英汉机械大词典

minimal
n.最小的,极小的

英汉农牧林大词典

minimal
n.最小的,最低的

英汉水利大词典

minimal
n.极小的,最小的,极微的

英汉心理学大词典

minimal
最小的

英汉医学大词典

minimal
n.极微的,极小的

电子邮件: 版权所有 一切网及原始资料出版社Copyright © 2004